- BE PREPARED FOR THE DISRUPTION OF SERVICE!
- STAY INDOORS!
- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF AUTHORITIES!
- You hear or see warning signs of extraordinary climatic phenomena.
- You see the damages caused by climatic phenomena.
How to prepare for extreme weather conditions
- Read about the criteria for warnings that are issued and the meaning of danger levels on the website of Estonian Weather Service at ilmateenistus.ee/ilmatarkus/kasulik-teada/hoiatuste-kriteeriumid/.
- Assess the resistance of your home to extreme weather conditions and determine possible risks:
- risk of pipes freezing;
- risk of trees falling on the building;
- loose garden furniture and easily airborne items;
- resistance of roofs to storm and snow load;
- risk of water making its way indoors in the event of flooding;
- missing lightning protection system;
- risk of overloading the power system.
- Be prepared for the disruption of vital services (electricity, communications, central heating, water supply, permeability of roads, getting help, etc.) and for their time-consuming recovery. Be prepared to cope independently for one week. (See Chapter “Independent coping upon disruption of vital services”).