How to get prepared for the disruption of water supply and sewerage service
- If you are dependent on the public water supply, find out through the service provider, apartment association or local government how the supply of water is guaranteed to inhabitants upon service disruption.
- Determine what kinds of problems will arise in your home, if there is no water.
- Determine the nearest possibilities for obtaining clean water (well, spring, etc.) and internal water bodies for getting other domestic water.
- Determine where and how much water you can get at home in the event of a disruption (water boiler, toilet water tank).
- Maintain a water reserve for one week at home, if you do not have any other option for getting clean water. You should count on 2 litres per person per day, and an additional reserve for cooking in the amount of 1 litre per person per day.
- Get some wet wipes and hand sanitizer. If there are children, elderly or people with special needs in the family, also consider their needs when it comes to sanitary preparations.
- Stockpile some water purification tablets or water filters.
How to act in the event of an unexpected disruption to the water supply or sewerage service
- Use any available water sparingly. Think about which daily water consumption you can temporarily discontinue or reduce.
- Let the water left in the pipes run from taps into containers.
- Monitor official statements on supplying inhabitants with drinking water.
- The water used for drinking, cooking and washing must be clean. Water taken from a natural water body or water that has been sitting for a longer period of time must be boiled before consumption for 3–5 minutes.
- Water can also be cleaned with special water purification tablets.
- Also take care of your personal hygiene on a daily basis during a water supply disruption by using a wash cloth or wet wipes. Brush your teeth, even if you cannot rinse your mouth with water.
- In the event of disruptions to the operation of the sewerage system, the use of the sewerage system may be prohibited in order to avoid clogging. Use a slop bucket for waste and multilayered garbage bags in toilet. If possible, use an outhouse. The apartment association may order one jointly.
SOLUTIONS FOR THE DISRUPTION OF WATER SUPPLY AND SEWERAGE SERVICE
|ACCESS TO DRINKING WATER|
|USING THE TOILET|
|WASHING THE DISHES|